11/11/03 General News
Thüringer Behälterglas celebrates 150 years of glass manufacture.
The small town of Schleusingen lies in the Thüringer forest region in the east of Germany, an area that has a long tradition of glass making. In October 2003 the local glassworks – now known as Thüringer Behälterglas - celebrated its 150 anniversary.
The original Company was founded in 1853 by representatives of two families whose names are still well known in the German glass industry, albeit today in connection with other factories – Wiegand and Heinz. During the following 60 years the Company expanded so that in 1929 there were no less than 5 separate factories in the area around Schleusingen, with a total of 8 furnaces and over 1050 personnel.
A view of the factory in the 1890s.
The world recession at the end of the 1920s had a dramatic effect on the Company, and only two years later there were only 2 factories, 4 furnaces and less than 550 personnel. The Company remained in the possession of the Heinz family until the political upheaval at the end of the second world war, when it became part of the nationalised industry of the German Democratic Republic. The reunification of Germany in 1990 led to 3 years under the auspices of the Treuhand Gesellschaft, before privatisation in 1993.
Today Thüringer Behälterglas is a modern glass factory operating two furnaces and 5 production lines for flint and coloured containers.
SORG has a long connection with the glass factories in and around Schleusingen, and the small village of Breitenbach, situated only 4 km from Schleusingen was the home of both the original Nikolaus Sorg and of the SORG Company. Today Thüringer Behälterglas operates SORG furnaces and forehearths, and we are pleased to be associated with the latest successful episode in the long and eventful history of the Company.